Welcome!

This blog is to document my seemingly impossible, somewhat daunting, yet extremely exciting, journey to completing my first marathon. I invite you to keep track of my progress and cheer me on: I know I'll need your support!

Speaking of support... I am not taking on this adventure just for bragging rights or just to look better during beach season. I have pledged to raise money for St. Jude's Children Research Hospital. After some reading, I'm very excited to join their cause: they will not turn down cancer treatments for children of families who cannot afford it. I'm thrilled my fundraising efforts will go towards helping a child receive the proper care, to give them a fighting chance against a disease that has unfortunately, almost certainly, touched at least one person we know and care about.

Please visit my fundraising page to support in any way you can and keep on visiting my blog to nudge me off my couch and get on the trail! www.mystjudeheroes.org/funnytoes

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day Two and Hurting

I've always struggled with identifying myself as a runner.  Who is a runner?  How far do you have to run or fast do you have to run to qualify as a "real" runner?  Well, I'm coming to terms with the fact I was a runner... but am no longer.

I haven't been running since sometime in the fall.  And haven't been running regularly since probably last summer.  So all you non-runners, or runners who have also been taking a long winter break, can relate to how I feel on day two on the treadmill.

Muscles are very cranky with me, and Tylenol is probably a must before bedtime at least for a few more days... every 5 minutes on the treadmill I'm battling myself to keep going for 5 more.  

And at this point I'm already thinking about running for 4, 5, maybe even 6 hours.... CONSECUTIVELY.... seems DAUNTING.

But, like my Mom always told me:  Like the Nike commercial says Paige-ee, Just Do It.

So even though I won't look as awesome as the people in the Nike commercials, I'll just keep doing it. 

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! You'll be wonderful! I've registered for the MCM too, it is crazy how fast it filled. We can run together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw on FB you registered for the MCM! Woohoo, I'm so happy I'll have you nearby... you can kick me if you find me napping on the course!

    ReplyDelete