Welcome!

This blog is to document my seemingly impossible, somewhat daunting, yet extremely exciting, journey to completing my first marathon. I invite you to keep track of my progress and cheer me on: I know I'll need your support!

Speaking of support... I am not taking on this adventure just for bragging rights or just to look better during beach season. I have pledged to raise money for St. Jude's Children Research Hospital. After some reading, I'm very excited to join their cause: they will not turn down cancer treatments for children of families who cannot afford it. I'm thrilled my fundraising efforts will go towards helping a child receive the proper care, to give them a fighting chance against a disease that has unfortunately, almost certainly, touched at least one person we know and care about.

Please visit my fundraising page to support in any way you can and keep on visiting my blog to nudge me off my couch and get on the trail! www.mystjudeheroes.org/funnytoes

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Spectator Signs

After recently researching spectator signs commonly seen at races, I want to share these with you, along with my possible reactions, because if you show up with any of these signs, I'd like to give you fair warning of any bad reactions.

"Your feet hurt because you are kicking so much butt!"
Favorable reaction- yes, I kick butt!!  Tell me more nice things!

"Your legs will forgive you...eventually."
Neutral.  Thanks for coming out, but you don't even have a clue.

"Don't stop -- people are watching."
Favorable.  This is funny but also evokes feelings of peer pressure... effective!

"Worst Parade Ever"
Unfavorable.  Worst sign ever.  Go home- do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

"That's not sweat, it's your fat cells crying."
Unfavorable.  I don't even understand the purpose of this sign- is it an awkward compliment?  Like, oh, look at all that sweat, that's your fat cells crying, what I'm trying to say is you are looking quite skinny!  If I wanted to look skinny there are easier ways to do it than running a freaking marathon, i.e. I'd probably just quit my ice cream habit, thanks for trying though.

"If it was easy, I would do it."
Favorable.  Anything implying I'm working my ass off to acheive something really difficult is awesome.

"Run like you stole something."
Neutral.  That's all you had really?  I appreciate the sign though, that's cool you took the time.

"This is easier than labor and delivery."
Unfavorable.  Are you aware that you can't get a freaking epidural during a marathon??

"You're not slow. You're just enjoying the course."
Favorable.  Not that I need your approval, but yes, I am, thank you for noticing!!

"Stop reading this and keep running!"
Favorable.  Simple humor is good.

"Beat Oprah!"
Favorable.  Even if I don't beat her time, this sign would make me crawl to the finish if I needed to.

"Puke and rally!"
Favorable.  Anything referencing puke is funny.

"Don't worry, toenails are overrated."
Neutral.  I guess.

"Run like someone's chasing you."
Unfavorable.  This one is a little creepy.

"It'll feel better when it stops hurting."
Could go either way.  Smart ass sign.

"Mortuary ahead....look alive!"
Favorable.  LOL funny.

"If I ran it, by God, you can, too."
Favorable, only if the person holding this sign is about 40 pounds overweight, drunk and smoking cigs.
Unfavorable, if runner-type-for-life person with a six-pack and spandex hugging muscles is holding.

"Chuck Norris never ran a marathon." 
Favorable.  Hilarious.

"Staying up all night making this sign was hard too." 
Favorable.  I enjoy sick humor.

"You are NOT almost there." (seen at mile 1)
Unfavorable.  I may give you the finger for this.

"The end is near." (Sign held by man dressed as the Grim Reaper at mile 21 of the 2010 Marine Corps Marathon, which was on Halloween)
Favorable.  This may result in hugs, or at least a thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment