Welcome!

This blog is to document my seemingly impossible, somewhat daunting, yet extremely exciting, journey to completing my first marathon. I invite you to keep track of my progress and cheer me on: I know I'll need your support!

Speaking of support... I am not taking on this adventure just for bragging rights or just to look better during beach season. I have pledged to raise money for St. Jude's Children Research Hospital. After some reading, I'm very excited to join their cause: they will not turn down cancer treatments for children of families who cannot afford it. I'm thrilled my fundraising efforts will go towards helping a child receive the proper care, to give them a fighting chance against a disease that has unfortunately, almost certainly, touched at least one person we know and care about.

Please visit my fundraising page to support in any way you can and keep on visiting my blog to nudge me off my couch and get on the trail! www.mystjudeheroes.org/funnytoes

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Appreciation

One of the best things I've gotten out of the Flying Feet program so far, and there's been a lot of things I've already gotten out of it, has been an appreciation for running.  Every week we are given a theme- which I really have been taking to heart.  This week happens to be themed appreciation... this theme spoke to me a lot... when I sit back and reflect on what I've already accomplished, I'm wowed... I mean, I ran 10 miles this morning... that's awesome!!  

Sometimes it really doesn't hurt to not only celebrate your accomplishments but to appreciate them- really give thanks that yes, I'm able to do this. This is so important for me especially, because most of the time I'm complaining about running... it's no fun, I hate it, I don't want to, please don't make me.... but some people can't run at all, or walk, so why am I complaining?  Well, because it's hard, and uncomfortable, and hard.  But completing each run, mile by mile, with great runners sharing their time, motivation, encouragement with me- man, I've definitely learned to appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment